April 08, 2020
Eaton supercapacitors are high reliability, high power, ultra-high capacitance energy storage devices utilizing electrochemical double layer capacitor (EDLC) construction combined with proprietary materials and processes. This combination of advanced technologies allows Eaton to offer a wide variety of capacitor solutions tailored to applications for backup power, pulse power, hybrid power systems.
They can be applied as the sole energy storage or in combination with batteries to optimize costs and lifetime. System requirements can range from a few micro-amps to megawatts. All products feature low ESR for high power density with environmentally friendly materials for a green power solution. Eaton supercapacitors are maintenance-free with design lifetimes up to 20 years.
Eaton’s XLR supercapacitor modules provide energy storage for powerful, dynamic charging / discharging systems in hybrid or electric vehicles, public transportation, material handling, heavy equipment and marine systems. The XLR modules are a perfect maintenance-free alternative to flywheels. In addition, they can reduce the size and weight of battery storage or replace the batteries completely depending on the load profile. This results in fuel savings, noise reduction and / or a more stable electrical system. The modules have a density class of IP65 and meet the strictest standards.
Equivalent series resistance
Due to the very low equivalent series resistance (ESR) of the supercapacitors, minimal heat is generated during operation. Most systems require multiple modules connected in series to reach higher operating voltages. The XLR module can be series connected to meet system level requirements and connected in parallel without limit to meet longer discharge times.
|Series Connected||Parallel Connected||Series x Parallel|
Due to manufacturing variations in capacitance and leakage current, cells can differ in voltage. When the voltage on a cell exceeds the preset in the XLR-module, the balancing circuit will activate to discharge the cell back to appropriate levels. The voltage management functions over hours to minimize the standby current requirements. Module-to-module balancing is therefore not required as the balancing system works on each individual cell.
- Ultra-low Equivalent Series Resistance provides high efficiency, high power
- Industry standard form factor for easy integration
- Highest power density to optimize system size and low operating costs
- Millions of charge/discharge cycles for life of application
- No heavy metals, RoHS compliant, non-hazardous and maintenance free
- Heavy duty metal housing for high vibration, high current applications
- IP65 environmental rating for high dust areas and water jet washable
- Hybrid and electric vehicles
- Grid storage
- Commercial vehicles: trucks, mining, construction
- Automated guided vehicle (AGV)
- Trolley, subway